Personal injury law is also referred to as tort law. In this, the law supports the injured person financially and helps him get compensation for the damages that have taken place due to an accident caused by another person. The victim files a case in the court of law along with the details of the accident and costs incurred with the help of one of the best Orange County personal injury lawyers. They help him in every step from collecting the evidence until trial so that he can get what he deserves. It is important to understand what qualifies a personal injury to file for a claim.
Incidents of a personal injury
- Accidents- In such events, a person may get injured due to the carelessness of someone else causing damages and injuries to the victim. For instance, road accidents, medical malpractice, dog bites, slip, and fall accidents.
- Defective products- If any food item, medicine, vehicle and any consumer product seems unreasonably harmful to the person, he may file a product liability lawsuit against the company or the manufacturer.
- Intentional damages- If a person harms someone else with wrong intentions, the victim can file a case against him. For example, assault and attempt to murder.
- Defamation- If a defamatory statement of one person harms the reputation of another; the victim may file a lawsuit.
If you have suffered financial or mental losses due to any of the above-mentioned incidents, you must go ahead and file a personal injury claim.
Steps to be taken
No two cases of personal injury claims are the same. However, a few basic steps should be taken to successfully file a lawsuit as mentioned below:
- Determining the breach- The first step is to determine how and when the incident occurred and if it falls into the personal injury category.
- Collecting all the proofs and documents- Before filing the case, it is strongly recommended to keep all the documents ready such as medical bills, a police report, photographs and contact details.
- Contacting a lawyer- The most important step is to get in touch with an attorney who specializes in this field. He will review the case along with the documents. He can tell you if you qualify for a personal injury claim.
The internet is the best source of information when it comes to finding the right lawyer.